Refuge – How will this service help me?
- Women’s Aid in Luton (WAIL) provides safe, secure and confidential accommodation for Women and children escaping domestic abuse.
- You will be supported by a refuge support worker who has specialist knowledge of the effects of the domestic abuse you and your children have suffered.
- These experienced workers can provide practical & emotional support, advocacy and guidance, and will work with you by providing a “person centered” confidential support plan that enables you to identify your needs such as housing, welfare and employment.
- Our specialist service will work with an empowerment model to look at the impact of domestic abuse on the individual and their children 1:1 support sessions will help to define the abuse and aid recovery from it.
- You will find the refuge is a place to make new friends, share experiences and gain confidence and you will also have access to the drop in center and the facilities and groups there.
Children’s Service – What about my children?
- WAIL recognises the effects of domestic abuse on children. We understand the confusion that children leaving their home may feel.
- These specialist workers will work with you to support your children and enable them to settle into the refuge they also organise play sessions, group work and family outings.
- Individual work is available if requested.
Culturally Specific Service – I do not have English as a second language, how can I access support?
- WAIL’s culturally specific accommodation provides space for women and children from South Asian cultures.
- The support staff at this project are conversant in the most prevalent South Asian languages used in Luton and are also sensitive to issues in the community arising from Forced Marriage, so called” honour” based violence and insecure immigration status.
Resettlement – what about when I leave the refuge, will I still be supported?
- WAIL employs a dedicated resettlement worker and where appropriate this worker will continue to provide support and guidance locally for a specified period of time when you move on from the refuge.
- Working in partnership with you, our resettlement worker will offer both practical and emotional support designed around your needs.